Monday, June 15, 2009

Cables, Grandmothers and a Lesson in Communication

Last fall, I successfully completed my first knitting project with cables. Not one to follow patterns, I created this cute red hat in the round by making it up as I went along. That's what made what happened later so much fun!

My husband and I went to Amsterdam to celebrate the new year later that winter. Not wanting to be completely ignorant American tourists, we prepared for the trip by listening to some dutch language CDs and borrowing a dictionary from the library. For the most part, they were completely unnecessary, as almost everything is written in Dutch and English.

Then came the train ride home from our visit to Den Hague and the cute little grandmother sitting across from us. Shortly into our ride she accosted me and started asking me about my hat. In Dutch. She thought it was the cutest thing and wanted to make one for her granddaughter. From there followed the most amusing (and complex) discussion of knitting I have ever had. She poked at it, I held up fingers and tried to remember my dutch numbers. She asked questions and I pointed some more. Luckily, my dictionary contained the translation for 'knit.' Finally, I succeeded in writing out directions involving knitting, opposite knitting (alas, the dictionary could not hope to contain purl), and braiding (I didn't want to rely on cable translating correctly). So hopefully, there is some Dutch girl somewhere wearing my hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment