Sunday, July 12, 2009

It's raining diaper wipes!

Finally got around to posting pictures of a baby shower gift I put together a month or so ago. Some friends of mine are expecting a little girl at the end of the month and are planning to use cloth diapers. I am a big fan of the cloth diapers and when I was researching them for my daughter, I came across the concept of flannel diaper wipes. I think they are brilliant! I've never been a big fan of the disposable wipes that are slippery and kind of icky (though I do consent to using them for the diaper bag).

These flannel wipes feel nicer and do a better job of cleaning up a dirty diaper. They are also great for giving morning and evening sponge baths. They are simple to make and are a great use for scrap flannel. It is better if your flannel is pre-shrunk, but if you don't care about having your wipes end up different sizes then it doesn't really matter.

Cut all of your scraps into 4" x 7" pieces. You'll want two pieces for every diaper wipe. Pair up all of your pieces and do a tight zig-zag stitch around the outside, staying close to the edge. I usually set my stitch length to 1 and my width to 5. The shorter your stitch length, the less the edges will unravel in the wash, but it doesn't really matter, as all the loose ends will come out within about five washes anyway.

To make the wipe solution, you just need a 1:2 ratio of water to witch hazel. This means that you split one bottle of witch hazel up into three bottles and top them all off with water. Maddy likes the wipe warmer, too, though it isn't necessary. If you want one, I recommend the Prince Lionheart Warmer without the antibacterial insert.The wipes fit well within it and if you make them twice as wide you can even fold the wipes together and pull them through the top. You will want to make sure you always have plenty of solution though, as the bottom wipes will burn if they get dry.

Not enough time to build it yourself? Buy it from my store!

No comments:

Post a Comment